General

Monday 9 July 2012

Thru the Lenz: A Full Day of Pampering



I could hardly fall asleep the night before. All these weeks of surfing and preparing myself will be tested the next day. I have been spending hours online trying to get ideas of how to express my emotions with my loved one through the lens of a camera. We have been discussing all the suitable and momentous shots that would speak volumes of our bond. 

I woke up the next day early. Having pre-scheduled a class, I could not let my student down. I left for class after slipping on one of my faded t-shirts and pulled on a pair of jeans. I could not fight back my excitement throughout class, many a time wondering if my student thought I was weird. Once class ended, I was home in no time, preparing snacks for the journey that was about to begin in an hour's time - sliced papaya, watermelon, marble cake, orange sponge cake and sausage rolls.

Packed and ready... My knight arrived on time, he had a smile that made me feel beautiful. I needed no verbal compliments, he had his eyes on me every time we stopped at a traffic light and especially when we were waiting for our hero-behind-the-lens, Anati. Her shots of my sister's extraordinary maternity photography session proved her skills. I had to make sure it was her handling our photo shoot, so I booked her as early as 6 months back. 

We have never had anyone take our pictures nor have we been particular about taking our pictures together. This made me reconsider photo documenting our casual moments in future. Now that we both have good camera phones, and I carry my digital camera almost everywhere I go, I should take random shots of us. Once we reached our first location of the photoshoot, both of us froze. It was our first couple shots and we were complete statues for good 40 minutes. Unsure of what to do, we could not even remember any photos we have seen online and discussed. No matter how prepared you are for a photo shoot, once you are in front of the lens, nothing seems to come to memory. We struggled at the first location, but with the help of our photographer, and her soulmate, they managed to set us the right direction. Nature also helped us melt into our characters and eventually, the ball started rolling. Pictures turned out as we planned, and we were much relaxed. 

Sunset at Bagan Lalang
We set off for the second location after I changed out of my first attire. We reached the beach after an hour drive - the beach welcomed us with the picture perfect view of the sun glaring its might down on the beach. Tiny little crabs were running around trying to hide from us, giants, burying themselves deep into the layer of sand. After enjoying some time on the beach looking at these crabs and fooling around, we got to work.

This time, we let our guard down, and felt more comfortable. As the day came to an end, I couldn't help thinking of all the wonderful moments captured through the lens of Anati's camera. We wound down to scrumptious "fresh-fish" siakap-masak-3-rasa, prawn sambal (which was extremely spicy), kangkung belacan and telur dada. 

By the time we reached home, we were so burnt out, a cold shower and a cup of "coffee" just wasn't enough. The day ended with a special treat to the soul... Every moment of the day had been engraved into my soul ... small things that matter!

No comments:

Post a Comment