General

Thursday 22 May 2014

Preparations for A New Edition

A woman who is under 35 has a 32% chance of getting pregnant while for women who are over 44, the average success rate stands at just 2.5%... I read this today from "My personal experience of IVF by Kate Brian, author of Precious Babies".

A new edition to the family has been on our minds since we tied the knot in November 2012. We have been patiently waiting for the second indicator on the pregnancy strip to show, but it is now 18 months since.

Like most couples, we never opted for IVF to get pregnant. But by the time the doctors referred us to IVF, we have been through so many procedures, tests, delays, frustrations and let downs over and over again.

Firstly IVF is not a taboo. It is not illegal or wrong to opt for IVF. It is very important for people to understand and provide support for couples who opt for this treatment. IVF is known as 'test-tube-baby', as the fertilization takes place outside the body (inside a test tube). The indications of IVF include:
1. tubal factors (tubal blockage or dysfunction)
2. endometriosis
3. male factors infertility
4. immunological infertility (antisperm antibodies)
5. repeated unsuccessful IUI
6. unexplained infertility
7. sperm/ egg/ embryo donation
8. surrogacy

I wanted to document and share my experience of IVF. God willing, I will document my feelings as days go by. We decided to start our treatment at METRO IVF KLANG under the watchful eye of Dr Tee Swi Peng. 

Phase 1 - Morning Injections


(First Injection: 17th May 2014 @ 8am)
And so, the injections have started. This is Phase 1 of the IVF cycle. Suprefact 20ml per day injected under the skin of the lower abdomen. Approximately 3cm from the navel to the left (or right) and 3cm from the navel down. Thanks to the existing scars from the laporoscopy the other day, they are marks of guidance now.

It has been 6 days since the morning injections have started. My knight has been my pillar of strength and has been putting the injections for me, taking a lot of care in ensuring the least pain is inflicted... probably he should have studied Medicine! There were clear and strict instructions given to us by my gynaecologist, Dr Elizabeth Thomas from Metro IVF, Klang.

These instructions include:

  1. Wash your hand thoroughly with soap and water
  2. Using an alcohol swab, clean the rubber cap of the vial.
  3. Draw 20ml of liquid and ensure it is air-bubbles-free.
  4. Swab the spot on the tummy with an alcohol swab.
  5. Pinch the skin of the tummy to gather a lump.
  6. At an angle, insert the needle under the skin and inject.
  7. Count slowly from 1 -3.
  8. Release the pinch and then withdraw the needle from my tummy.

Side effects

One of the biggest and drastic changes I felt after starting the jabs is hot-flush. A sudden rush of heat and sweat will make you feel extremely uncomfortable and irritated. Sitting in an air conditioned room just does not help. The feeling of having an ice-water bath is overwhelming. But definitely not practical. 

The other side effect I am facing is weight gain. It was a massive 3kg increase in weight within the first 4 days of the injections. Hence, I have taken measures to stick to protein diet. Only lean meat or fish.

Thus far, my diet included eggs in the morning, chicken or tuna in the afternoon and milk at night. I've managed to keep my weight at a balance.

Phase 2 - Night Injections

(First Injection: 4th June 2014 @ 8pm)
We were told to return for a check-up on Day 2 of menstrual cycle. A transvaginal ultrasound was done to check the number follicles. I had 5 - 3 on the right and 2 on the left. It was not great news but we were glad to hear that we will be progressing to Phase 2 of IVF.
We were introduced to the night jabs - Gonal F of 225iu. I was given a window to inject myself (6pm to 10pm). Thus far, both of us have been keeping the 8pm schedule on track, mostly done by my Knight.

After 6 days, we were scheduled for yet another transvaginal ultrasound. This time, Dr Tee intended to measure each follicle and see if the dosage of the night injections were sufficient. Good news... 17 follicles in total. 12 on the right and 5 on the left. We were extremely happy.

Weight gain is still there, but I think I am trying to cope with it positively. Thus far, I have gained a total of 2.8kgs ... measuring 53.8kgs. Our next appointment has been scheduled this Friday.

Dreams do come true, if only we wish hard enough. You can have anything in life if you will sacrifice everything else for it ... small things that matter!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment